Last Content Update:
The Climbing Pinnacle at BPRC
Located at Buchanan Park Recreation Center (BPRC), the 41-foot rock-like freestanding pinnacle is located in the rotunda of the building. Sculptured and custom holds are embedded throughout the wall, and an overhang will challenge even the most advanced climbers. Note: Climbers must wear sturdy closed-toe shoes. Crocs, sandals, and skirts are not allowed on the wall.
All climbing is at Buchanan Park Recreation Center (BPRC).
Adult Climbing Class
Whether you want to work on your climbing skills or learn a whole new hobby, this adult climbing class is for you! Our instructor will help adults of all abilities reach new heights in a judgment-free and fun environment. Rock climbing has been shown to be one of the best whole-body workouts that improve strength, confidence, and health. The class is held on Wednesdays from 9 AM to 10 AM.
Belay-certified climbers are permitted to climb during open hours when a climbing instructor is not present. If harnesses are needed, they are available to rent (for an additional fee) at the Buchanan Park Recreation Center (BPRC) front desk.
- Learn the techniques necessary to belay safely and become a belay certified climber on the BPRC pinnacle
- Must pass the belay certification exam within three days after completing lesson
- Fees: $25 for District Residents and $31 Non-District Residents
Belay & Auto Belay Certification (16 Plus Years)
- The certification process gives three chances to demonstrate techniques learned
- Belay certification required to belay another climbing participant
- Once completed you will be issued a belay certification pass (valid for one year)
- Fees: $15 for District Residents and $19 for Non-District Residents
The new auto belay system will allow the experienced climber to come in and get that needed workout on the pinnacle without needing to have a partner to belay them. To be able to use the auto belay system during non-open climbing hours climbers will need to go through our belay certification process.
Open Climbing at the Pinnacle
Please check the current schedule/calendar (PDF) for Open Climb opportunities. Patrons must be belay-certified by EPRD to climb as climbing instructors are not available to assist with open climbing.